Eating healthily and Healthy Weight
Eating a healthy balanced diet is a well established component of good health; it helps maintain a healthy weight, keeps the heart healthy, decreases the chance of developing type II diabetes and keeps bones healthy and strong preventing the onset of osteoporosis.
However, sometimes it isn't as easy as it sounds; not knowing what is good for you, conflicting messages, and a lack of cooking skills can make it difficult to know where to start. Below are some top tips to help you start eating well:
- Base meals on starchy foods - try choosing wholegrain varieties of bread, pasta, and rice
- Eat lots of fruit and veg - five a day
- Eat more fish - two portions a week of oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines
- Cut down on saturated fat and sugar - foods such as cakes, crisps, chocolate, pizza, and burgers
- Try to eat less salt - no more than 6g a day
- Drink plenty of water - 6-8 glasses (1.2 litres) of water and other fluids are needed a day to stay hydrated
- Don't skip breakfast - it's the most important meal of the day
For a visual guide to help you eat healthily see the Eatwell Guide.
Dartford Borough Council and Healthy Living Centre Dartford are working together to deliver programmes to help Dartford residents improve their health by reaching and maintaining a healthy weight.
To find out more, or to sign up to any of the programmes, contact Dartford's Healthy Living Team on 01732 227000 or contact the Healthy Living Team
Why Weight - PDF, 323.74 KB is a FREE 12 week adult weight management course run by qualified professionals to help you lose weight.
The programme focuses on helping people to understand the relationship between food, exercise and weight control. Each weekly session focuses on a particular subject, such as food labels, portion sizes and eating out as well as a weekly weigh-in. At the end of each session there is the chance to take part in an 30 minute gentle exercise class specifically for Why Weight Plan members only. Programmes run throughout the year and start up in January, April and September.
The next Why Weight courses take place at the following venues:
At Peppercorns, Orchard Street, Dartford:
- Mondays, 1.15pm-2.45pm
- Wednesdays, 6.30pm-8pm
At Tree Community Centre, Cedar Road, Dartford:
- Tuesdays, 6.30pm-8pm
At Stone Pavilion, Hayes Road, Stone:
- Thursdays, 10.30am-12noon
At Swanscombe & Greenhithe Town Council Offices, Swanscombe:
- Thursdays, 6.30pm-8pm
For more information and to book your place call the Healthy Living Team on 01732 227000.
Don't Sit Get Fit - Dynamo Club
The Don't Sit Get Fit team based at Fairfield Leisure Centre work with children and their families to promote healthy weight through good nutrition, regular physical activity, and positive body image. If you are worried about your child's weight and would like help to manage it Dynamo Club can help. The FREE 12-week course is designed to help children and their families get fitter and healthier by:
- Learning how to make healthier food choices
- Learning to cook
- Discovering new tasty foods
- Trying new games, activities and sports with qualified coaches
- Spending time together as a family
- Making new friends
- And most importantly having FUN!
Sessions are run by an activity coordinator and registered nutritionist. Contact the Healthy Living Team for more details, or alternatively you can complete this self referral form - PDF, 489.42 KB
- NHS Choices: Food and Diet
- NHS Choices: Lose Weight
- The Eatwell Guide
- Healthy Living Centre Dartford