Housing Register for Social Housing
If you want to move into Council or Housing Association social housing, then you may be able to join Dartford Borough Council's Housing Register.
- You must be living in the UK
- If you are already a council or housing association tenant, then you must have a clear rent account, your home and gardens must be in an acceptable state and you must have written permission from your landlord.
- You cannot join if you are subject to immigration control.
- You may not be able to join if you or your household included in the application have a history of anti social behaviour, which affects your suitability to be a tenant.
- You must have lived in the Borough of Dartford for the last 2 years or more.
To join the Council's Housing Register, you will need to complete an online application form on the Kent Homechoice website.
Please note paper applications are no longer accepted.
Need help to join?
If you require assistance to join you may nominate a friend, relative or advocacy worker from an appropriate agency to apply on your behalf, by completing an advocacy form PDF, 147.69 KB or you can contact the Council on 01322 343907 where we will be pleased to help. An easy read Kent Homechoice leaflet is available to download PDF, 300.17 KB, or please contact us on 01322 343907 for a paper copy.
If you have any medical needs that should be considered in relation to your housing situation, you will need to complete a medical & welfare form PDF, 306.06 KB. All medical forms and supplementary evidence are considered by the Council's Medical Panel. We'll write to you to let you know the outcome of your medical assessment once a decision has been made.
Once you have registered you will receive an information pack, which will explain how you can start bidding on homes. Homes that you can bid on will be advertised every two weeks- they will be shown on the Kent Homechoice website, at the Dartford Borough Council Civic Centre or at local libraries in Dartford.
You can bid on up to three different homes during any bidding period and you can make a bid in the following ways:
- By telephone
- By text message
- By using the Kent Homechoice App, available from the iTunes App Store and Google Play Store
- By satellite or cable TV
- At every local library (staff can help if needed)
- At Dartford Borough Council's Civic Centre (staff can help if needed)
If your circumstances change:
If your circumstances change at any time you must let the Council know by completing a change of circumstance form available in the 'My Details' section when you login to your KentHomeChoice.org.uk account. If there is a relevant change then your application will be reassessed and if appropriate, placed in a different band.
If you are registered with Kent Homechoice you can find out the average waiting time by logging onto Kent Homechoice. Because of the shortage of accommodation and high demand, the majority of people joining the register are unlikely to be successful.
If you're not a Council or housing association tenant within the Dartford area, you must re-register with the Council every year to stay on the scheme.