Parks and open spaces
There are many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities in the Parks and Open Spaces in the Borough.
Whether you want to take in the fresh air of the countryside or simply enjoy a restful afternoon in the Park we hope you enjoy your visit.
We wish you to enjoy the quality of facilities when you visit our green spaces.
If you have any comments regarding the provision or maintenance of the grounds or play features, please contact the Parks Department on (01322) 343063 or firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments.
Please note that the Boroughs Parks are open from dawn till dusk with specific times detailed on all the notice boards at the entrances to the Parks.
Alternatively, we would encourage you to use the on-line survey facility at GreenSpace.
The Borough has two major parks for your enjoyment:
Park facilities include floral displays, children's play areas, sports areas and public conveniences. The most recent addition to these facilities is the Skatepark, which was opened in the Spring of 2007.
- Dartford Heath is an area of 130 hectares and provides opportunities for informal recreation. The heathland soils supports a unique range of wildlife and is popular with dog walkers.
- Darenth Country park opened to the public in Spring 2002 and is one of 21 sites developed through Groundworks 'Changing Places' programme. The site offers a variety of surfaced and unsurfaced paths including cycle routes.
Car parking is provided at the main entrance off Gore Road. The site includes a scheduled ancient monument, a site of special scientific interest, horse grazing and a newly created "traditional" orchard.
- Darenth Woods is an area of approximately 300 acres of ancient coppiced woodland, and can be accessed from Watling Street or Waller Park.
- Beacon Wood Country Park which is owned by Lafarge and managed by Bean Parish Council and Groundworks.
A new website - visitwoods.org.uk - has been launched in order to help people explore and discover their local, publicly-accessible woodlands.
The £2.1m project has been developed by the Woodland Trust alongside groups such as the National Trust, the Forestry Commission, the Wildlife Trusts and the RSPB.
visitwoods.org.uk will give visitors the opportunity to find out about their nearest woodland and how to get there, as well as sharing photos, recommendations and comments.
The project has received £1.2m through Natural England's Access to Nature scheme, funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
Events in Parks and Open Spaces
Our green areas are provided for your enjoyment. If you wish to use one of the sites for an organised event please contact us. We want the community to use these areas and therefore welcome such approaches. It may be a sponsored walk or a community festival that you have in mind, just contact our staff on 01322 343063 and we will try to help you.
Booking Sports Pitches
Our facilities are limited and you are encouraged to book well in advance to avoid disappointment. Seasonal or individual bookings are possible.
Please contact the Parks Department for further details on 01322 343063 or at email@example.com
- Managing the Marshes PDF, 1576.86 KB
- Grounds Maintenance of Parks & Open Spaces
- Children Playgrounds
- Trees and Hedges
- Countryside Rangers
- Community Safety Unit
- Upcoming Guided Walks
- Volunteer Groups
- Dartford parks and open spaces information on DisabledGo website
- Wonderful Walks
- Visit Woods