While serving in the Armed Forces the Ministry of Defence takes responsibility for your general medical healthcare. If you've left the Armed Forces you will need to register with a GP on the NHS. Here you can find out where you can access healthcare services as well as local support for achieving a healthy lifestyle.


The NHS provides healthcare information for the Armed Forces Community, including service personnel, reservists, families and veterans.

Urgent medical help:

If you need urgent medical help but it's not a 999 emergency, call the NHS on 111, which is available 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

Mental wellbeing:

Combat Stress is the UK's leading veterans' mental health charity providing free treatment and support 24 hours a day - 0800 138 1619.

Help for Heroes Hidden Wounds provides confidential support delivered by psychological wellbeing practitioners, often over the phone or on Skype, so that you can easily access support from all around the country.

Mind is a mental health charity that provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem - 0300 123 3393.

Kent County Council has useful information on where to go if you need help and support, including services such as Live Well Kent and Release the Pressure.

Healthy lifestyle:

For more information on having a healthy lifestyle visit our page on health and wellbeing. There are also many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities in the parks and open spaces in Dartford as well as local sports facilities and programmes.

Healthy Living Centre Dartford provides access to activities that promote a healthy lifestyle. They deliver projects on healthy weight, mental health, sexual health, stop smoking and substance misuse - 01322 311265.