Name: Housing - Armed Forces
Description: Housing - Armed Forces

Housing - Armed Forces

There are a number of housing options to consider if looking for accommodation. Here you can find out about options on finding a home as well as what to do if you're homeless.

Social rented housing

Residents of Dartford may be able to apply for council and housing association housing by joining the housing register. Serving and former members of the Armed Forces will qualify for a community contribution if they fall within one or more of the statutory reasonable preference categories. For more information on how to join the housing register, visit our Housing Register for Social Housing page.

The following housing providers also offer housing options specifically for people who have served in the Armed Forces:

Private rented housing

Renting from a private landlord is another option for finding somewhere to live. Everything you need to know about renting a home from a private landlord, including what questions to ask and your rights and responsibilities, can be found in the government's How to Rent checklist.

Affordable home ownership

Affordable home ownership is homes for sale and rent below market levels for eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. The government runs the following home ownership schemes:


If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, Dartford Borough Council may be able to help. For more information read our page on homelessness.

If you're sleeping rough or know someone who is, Porchlight's Rough Sleeper Service may be able to help with access to emergency accommodation and support - 0800 567 76 99.

Further help

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides housing information and advice to service personnel and their families to assist them in the transition to civilian life - 01252 787 574.

Shelter offer free, expert housing advice to anyone - 0808 800 4444.

Citizens Advice Bureau offer online and telephone advice - 03444 111 444 or contact the Dartford Citizens Advice Bureau - 0300 330 9001.

Last Updated: 04th March 2021