Test and Trace Support Payments
PLEASE NOTE: From 16 August 2021, under 18s and people who are fully vaccinated will no longer need to self-isolate when identified as a close contact, and therefore will not be eligible for a support payment unless they test positive for COVID-19.
If you are working and on a low income, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 if NHS Test and Trace has told you to self-isolate.
To qualify for the payment, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test & Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app because you have tested positive for COVID-19; or
- You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app because you have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive, and you are not fully vaccinated; or
- You are a parent or guardian of a young person who is required to self-isolate and you are unable to work due to looking after them
- You are employed or self-employed
If you meet all the other criteria above but do not currently receive one of the benefits, you may still qualify for a payment if you will face financial hardship as a result of being told to self-isolate. To be considered you will need to meet all of these additional criteria:
*You must be 18 years old or more
*Your normal gross earnings must be no more than £500/week and no less than £80/week
*Your capital must be less than £4,000
*You must demonstrate that you will suffer financial hardship by having to self isolate
If you are not able to gain access to this payment as your bank or building society account is overdrawn, you can apply for protection through a first right of appropriation of funds PDF, 205.48 KB order.
Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment
Before you apply, please make sure you have the following information to hand:
- Your National Insurance number
- Your eight digit NHS Test and Trace Account ID
- A recent pay slip or proof of self-employment
- A recent bank statement in your name
If you are applying because your child has been told to self-isolate due to testing positive for COVID-19, your child is aged 15 or under or 25 or under with an Education and Health Care plan in place and you are unable to work due to looking after them please contact us first.
People in the same household can each make an individual application to receive the payment, if they each meet the eligibility criteria.