Safe Building Control Inspection Guidelines
Safe Building Control inspection guidelines for builders/owners - Coronavirus update
With Dartford in Tier 3 and most other areas going to tier 3 on the 16th December, please note the following information regarding Building Regulation site inspections until further notice.
Site inspection regimes to mitigate health risks while on site
Internal inspection are being suspended as of now, including completion inspections. Internal inspection of works may be agreed via video/photographic evidence at the discretion of the Building Control Surveyor, see further details below.
We will continue to offer external site inspections on a risk assessed basis and you will be asked the following set of screening question when confirming site inspection bookings:
- Is anyone at the property suffering from Coronavirus symptoms such as a new cough and high-temperature?
- Is anyone self-isolating or been in contact with someone who has been confirmed of having Coronavirus?
- Have the builders carried out a site risk assessment that we are safe to attend site?
Pre Site Inspection protocol
In addition to these screening questions, to protect the safety of all concerned, please note the following information to enable our surveyors to carry out the inspection as safely as possible:
- Facemasks/coverings must be worn by anyone attending the site inspection while the Building Control Surveyor is on site
- The 2m distance rule must be complied with – if not, then the Building Control Surveyor may decide it is unsafe to continue and leave site, explaining why, and the inspection will be terminated!
Site Inspection Available During Lockdown
Below is a list of typical inspections (not exhaustive) and how we propose to undertake them. Note, the aim is to minimise the number of site inspections and protect the safety of all concerned. Therefore, we may ask to conduct a virtual inspection via WhatsApp video call where deemed appropriate:
- Typical list of site inspections we will take booking for (not exhaustive);
- Foundations – site visit
- Drains – site visit
- DPC – site visit or virtual visit via WhatsApp video call or photographic evidence
- DPM – site visit or virtual visit via WhatsApp video call or photographic evidence
- Roof – virtual visit via WhatsApp video call or photographic evidence
- Steels – virtual visit via WhatsApp video call or photographic evidence
- Other inspections;
- Completion inspections – suspended until further notice
- General advice – unless absolutely necessary all advice will be provided remotely
- Intermediate - We will only be booking statutory inspections and will accept photographic evidence of insulation / fire-boarding of steels, and other non-statutory inspections via email rather than inspecting
Please Note: photographic evidence will need to be able to identify the site location for them to be acceptable and Building Control Surveyors will review and confirm acceptance or any issues back to the owner/builder as soon as possible.
Good Site Practice you can expect from our Building Control Surveyors
- When arriving on site they will confirm that there are no Coronavirus symptoms and the occupiers are not self-isolating. If in doubt they will not enter site
- They will not shake hands!
- They will wear face masks/visors and gloves provided while on site but will not enter your home
- They will maintain a 2 metre distance from others on site
- They will sanitise their hands before and after leaving site with hand gel