Name: How Do I Comment on an Application
Description: How Do I Comment on an Application
Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

How Do I Comment on an Application

Objection to and support for an application

Details of planning applications can be found online at Public Access For Planning. Planning applications are also available for inspection online at the Civic Centre during normal office hours.

Comments on any application must be made in writing; this can be done via Public Access for Planning or by letter to Development Control, Civic Centre, Home Gardens, Dartford DA1 1DR.

Please quote your name and address and the application reference number in any communications. If replying by e-mail, you are advised to submit your comments as an attachment as either a Word or pdf document.

Publication of comments

Copies of all comments will be made available on the Council's website after processing, so you may wish to consider carefully what information you provide in your response. Objections to or support for a planning application should be submitted in a rational and impersonal way and comments directed to the planning issues raised by the proposal. Please note that comments of a personal, slanderous, libellous, defamatory, or otherwise offensive or abusive nature are not constructive or helpful to the process of determining a planning application and may result in an action for libel against you by third parties.

The Council cannot be held legally responsible for representations from anyone commenting on planning applications which may contain libellous or defamatory statements.

Any representations you make must be made available on request to the applicant or any interested party.

Your name and address will remain visible on the website but the Council will ensure that telephone numbers, e-mail addresses and signatures are deleted from public view, as well as any other sensitive personal data.  Your comments will not be available on the website once the application is decided. However, hard copies will remain available for inspection at the Civic Centre.

Anonymous or confidential comments

Failure to provide your name and address will mean that your comments have to be treated as anonymous and consequently will carry little weight. Comments marked private/confidential will be treated as such and will not be taken into account.

Dealing with representations

Most planning applications do not attract representations and are dealt with at officer level. Where representations are received, these may be reported to the Council's Development Control Board, which generally meets every four weeks.

Meetings are open to the public and if you have written in expressing your views on the application, you will be entitled to speak. For details of the arrangements for public speaking, click on the link below:

  • Public speaking

    The Council encourages the opportunity for you to have your say on planning proposals considered by the Development Control Board

Last Updated: 27th September 2018 Print Link

Share Facebook Share Twitter