How to apply for an HMO licence
Applying for an HMO licence
Please read carefully and follow all instructions; an application will not be accepted as valid or be processed until the following documents are received::
An application will not be accepted as valid or be processed until the following is received
- A fully completed application form
You will need to download and complete the HMO licence application form PDF, 504.01 KB, (HMO privacy statement PDF, 118.31 KB)
- All required supporting documentation
- Current ie: within last 12 months Gas Safety Certificate
- Current (ie: within last 5 years) Electrical Installation Condition Report completed by a competent person such as NAPIT,ELECSA, NICEIC contractor
- Fire Detection systems – for systems less than 12 months old – the design, installation and commissioning certificates for the system
- Or if older than 12 months, the most recent servicing/maintenance certification for the system
- Emergency lighting – for systems less than 12 months old , the installation certificate
- For systems older than 12 months, the most recent servicing/maintenance certification
- Copy of a Tenancy Agreement
- Proof of address of the applicant
- Annotated floor plan showing rooms sizes and fire safety measures (example PDF, 4247.06 KB)
- Proof of payment of licence fee is provided – see below.
Ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed before trying to access any of these .GOV.UK forms (This may require you to uninstall the version you currently have installed and downloading the latest version from Adobe Reader Download) and restarting your PC. Always download the PDF and open in Adobe Reader rather than opening the form within your web browser.
HMO licence fees 2019/20
A five year licence fee costs £830 or £780 if the property is accredited by the Council's Accreditation Scheme - a scheme which recognises premises attaining high standards of maintenance/facilities.
HMO re-licence fees 2019/20
A five year re-licence fee costs £635 or £585 if the property is accredited by the Council's Accreditation Scheme - a scheme which recognises premises attaining high standards of maintenance/facilities.
You can pay online via the Council's website or in person using the automated payments kiosk in the Dartford Civic Centre reception area during normal opening hours. You can pay by cash or credit/debit card. The kiosk does not accept cheques.
Submission of application
Completed applications, proof of fee payment and any required supporting documents should be emailed to HMO@dartford.gov.uk.
Processing of applications
HMO licence and re-licence applications will be processed on receipt of all valid documentation and fees. The application will be determined within 12 weeks of the Council's acknowledgement that it is satisfied that the application complies with the legislative requirements. If an extension of time is required to determine your application, the time limit will be agreed with you or your agent.
If you receive no further contact from us within the 12 week timescale or agreed extension period, then tacit authorisation applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted.