The definition of an abandoned vehicle is a vehicle with no known owner.
- View a list of suspected abandoned vehicles of which we are already aware
- Check whether a suspected abandoned vehicle is taxed (DVLA)
- Report an abandoned vehicle now
Cars that are simply untaxed (but in use) or causing an obstruction will be dealt with by other agencies. Please refer to the following table and report vehicles to the correct agency.
|Problem||Report to||Contact Details|
Checked whether vehicle is taxed
Untaxed vehicle OR
registered as SORN but parked on a public road
0300 790 6802
Vehicle causing obstruction OR
Vehicle in a dangerous condition
For non-urgent telephone calls to the Police, telephone 101. Alternatively, the telephone number for Kent Police Headquarters based in Maidstone is 01622 690690.
Abandoned vehicle OR
Burnt out shell
Dartford Borough Council
The Police, not the Council, have the power to immediately remove any vehicle which is left abandoned in breach of local traffic regulation orders, is causing an obstruction or is likely to cause a danger.
Vehicles that are correctly reported to the Council as abandoned are inspected within 24 hours and enquiries made regarding ownership and/or Police interest. If the owner cannot be traced, a notice is fixed to the windscreen and the car is removed after the appropriate warning time has elapsed. This time varies according to where the vehicle is located and its condition.
When reporting a car to any of the above agencies, the following information is required:
- Your name and contact number
- Location of the vehicle - be as specific as possible, eg outside No. 6
- Details of the vehicle - registration number, make, model and colour
- Whether or not the vehicle is taxed or SORN'd
- Condition of the vehicle and how long at location
Your identity will not be divulged to a third party but we may wish to telephone you to give you a progress report or obtain further information.
In brief we will:
- Inspect the vehicle to ascertain its condition, whether its location is dangerous, whether it is taxed and so on
- Check with the DVLA to find out whether it has a registered keeper. If the owner can be found, they will be written to asking them to confirm if they still own the vehicle within 7 days
- Check with the Police as to whether the vehicle has been stolen or involved in an accident. If it has we are not able to remove it
- If the vehicle has been genuinely abandoned and if both the DVLA and Police authorise removal, we will then stick a removal notice to the car and remove and either store or crush it when the notice expires. The type of notice, 24hr, 7 day or 15 day, depends on where the vehicle is located and its condition
- Click here to report an Abandoned Vehicle to us