Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

Electoral registration

Your vote matters

Annual Canvass

To make sure we hold the correct details on our Register of Electors, each year the Electoral Services department sends a Household
Enquiry Form to every residential address in the borough.  The form lists the eligible persons currently registered at that address, along with any individuals registered who will reach the age of 18 during the next 12 months. 

This year the canvass will start the week commencing 25th July 2016.  Once received householders must respond as soon as possible to either confirm or change their details.

If you have not received a form, you can ask for one by contacting 01322 343501 or using this form to contact the IER team.

Responding is easy

.           By phone

.           On-line

.           By post

If you do not respond to the annual canvass request or provide false information you may be liable to a fine of £1,000.

During the canvass period we will continue to contact each property by post or by visiting the property until we receive a response.  If you respond as soon as possible, this will save time and money to you, the taxpayer.

Respond choosing ONE of the following options below:-

If all your details are correct:-

OPTION A – Text 07786 209436 (standard charges apply) with your 2 security codes, separated by a space.  Your security codes are printed on your form.  You will receive a confirmation text if your response has been logged successfully. 

OPTION B – Ring the Freephone Number 0808 2841436 (if calling from a mobile please call 0330 1319001 – local charges then apply) and enter the security codes printed on your form.  You will then be guided through the response process by the automated service.
If all your details are correct or if you need to make changes to your household, such as add/remove/amend details for electors:-

OPTION C – On-line at Dartford Borough Council and enter the security printed on your form, then follow the instructions.

OPTION D – Amend your form by hand and return by post in the envelope provided.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to respond every year?

The law says you have to respond every year so that the correct details are listed on the Register of Electors, whether or not you are already registered and even if you have been registering at the same address for many years.

What if I don't respond?

By law you must respond.  If you do not you could be fined £1,000.  Your credit rating could be affected if you do not appear on the electoral register.

I have sent back the household enquiry form, why have I and other people in the property now received another form to fill in?

Responding to the household enquiry form does not register you.  The information you provide will enable us to send a separate invitation to register to everyone in the household.  To register the person can either complete the form they have been sent and return it to us or go to the Government Website.   You will need to fill in your name, address, date of birth and
National Insurance number. The process will only take a few minutes

Registering for Council Tax does not mean you are automatically added to the Register of Electors.

What is the Open Register?

There are two versions of the register, the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The Electoral Register lists names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections and makes sure that only eligible people can vote.  It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (eg fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The Open Register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections.  It can be bought by any person, company of organisation.  Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.  Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at the Government Website.

You can also use this link to opt out of the Open Register.

Who to include on the form?

Anyone at the address who is aged 16 or over.

If there is no one at the address who is eligible to register to vote we still need to know.  Please complete box 2 on the form or via the internet at Dartford Borough Council stating if the property is empty, a business premises, a second home, not eligible because if nationality or other reason.

When will the next Register of Electors be published?

The revised electoral register will be published on 1 December 2016. 

Who do I contact if I am having problems completing my form?

Please contact us on 01322 343501 or by using this form to contact the IER team.

  • About the Electoral Registers

    Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the Electoral Register and the Open Register (also known as the edited register)

  • Annual Canvass

    Information regarding the Annual Canvass

Top   Last Updated: 16th January 2017 Print Link