When your circumstances change you must let us know straightaway so we can make sure your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction is right.

We want to give you the right amount now so we don't have to ask you to pay money back later if we overpay you. If the change means your Housing Benefit increases we may not be able to backdate the change and you may lose out.

You can let us know by telephone, letter or email. If you write to us please remember to tell us the date of the change. Depending on the type of change we may then ask you to provide evidence or complete a form.

You can also tell us about a change from your online account.

Here are some examples of changes you must tell us about:

  • Changes to any other benefit or allowance such as Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Child Benefit (starts, stops, goes up or down)
  • Changes to wages, tax credits, maintenance payments, private pensions (starts, stops, goes up or down)
  • Changes to your savings
  • You inherit any money or property
  • Someone leaves or joins your household
  • Someone who lives with you has a change in their income or starts or stops work
  • A child leaves school or leaves home
  • You move house or go abroad
  • Your rent goes up or comes down
  • Your landlord changes

This is not an exhaustive list - if you are not sure please tell us anyway.