Your Choice of Application Route:

There are two choices of applications available to you. You can choose either a Full Plans or Building Notice Application. To help you decide on the best route to take we have included the following information.

Please note that the Building Notice route is not applicable in all circumstances. If in doubt please contact Building Control for advice.

Important Service Improvement - Please note that all online Building Control application will now be submitted electronically via the Planning Portal online forms. The first time you use this service you will need to register as a new user and then you will be able to complete your online application and attached drawings and calculations etc.

Drainage implications:

Please note, if your proposed work is situated over or close to a public sewer (shown on the public sewer map) a Building Notice will not be acceptable, a Full Plans application will therefore be necessary. Please check whether your proposal will effect a public sewer by contacting either your service provider or Contact Building Control prior to submitting your Building Notice application.

The full plans route - Apply online Now

The principal advantages of using this method are that once your plans and details have been approved you will receive an Approval Notice. Your builder can then work to those drawings without fear of contravening the regulations during the building process.

When the works have been completed on-site you will receive a Completion Certificate.

The building notice route - Apply Online Now

This is the alternative to submitting a Full Plans Application. The fundamental difference between the two methods is that this route does not require the submission of detailed plans.

You are only required to submit a Building Notice Application form and a scaled site location plan, although some details and structural calculation may be requested during the course of the works to demonstrate compliance with the relevant building standards.

When the works have been completed on-site you will also receive a Completion Certificate.

Regularisation Certificate - Submit Online Now

An application will need to be submitted to apply for retrospective approval of work that was previously carried out without building regulations approval, which usually comes to light when selling your property.

This type of application can be only be made for works commenced on or after the 11th November 1985 and may require details and structural calculation to be submitted, and we may require some areas of the works to be opened up, to demonstrate compliance with the relevant building standards.

When the works have been shown to comply with the relevant building standards you will receive a Regularisation Certificate.

Pay for your Building Control Application or Inspection -

For information on Building Control fees, please call Building Control Admin on 01322 343204. You can pay for your Building Control application over the phone by debit or credit card during normal office hours by calling the same number. If you are paying by cheque, please make these payable to Dartford Borough Council. To view our standard fees please view the relevant fee table on the Building Control Fee Tables and Application Forms page.

Points to remember

Whatever option you choose, once the building work is underway, a Building Control Officer will visit at various stages to check that building regulations are being met. When the works have been completed satisfactorily we will issue a Completion Certificate.

Once we have received your Building Regulations application, you normally have three years to start work. After that time you will need to re-apply.

Don't forget! You may also need Planning Permission and will need to make a separate application for this.