How do you qualify:

The following occupied properties in designated rural settlements are entitled to rural rate relief

  • The only food shop, general store or post office provided it has a rateable value of £8,500 or less
  • The only public house or petrol station provided it has a rateable value of £12,500 or less

To qualify for relief a general store must mainly sell both food and general household goods.

What do you get:

Eligible properties could receive 50% mandatory relief.

The Government intends to double this relief to 100% and will be changing the law as soon as possible. In the interim the authority has been asked to consider awarding a further 50% relief using it's discretionary powers.

How do you apply:

Please complete the Mandatory Rural Rate Relief application form.