Empty Properties and Second Homes
You may be able to get money off your bill if your property is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for a period of time.
- There will be no charge for up to one month from the date that the property first becomes unoccupied and substantially unfurnished (even if you were not the owner at the time)
- After the first month there will be a full charge
- If the property is still empty after two years 200% Council Tax will be charged
In certain circumstances an unoccupied property may be exempt.
Second homes and furnished rental properties
There will be a full charge from the date the property first became empty (even if you were not the owner at the time).
No Council Tax will be payable for an annexe occupied by a dependant relative of the occupier of the other part of the property and who is either disabled, severely mentally impaired or aged 65 or over.
There will also be no charge for an empty annexe which may not be let separately from another property without a breach of planning control.
Where the annexe is either:
- Being used as part of the main property; or
- Being used by a relative of the person liable to pay on the main home and they are not classed as a dependant relative
the charge for the annexe will be reduced by 50%. The reduction will apply after any other discounts have been applied.
For more information on annexes please contact us.