The Council, as a Licensing Authority, must make sure that anyone wanting to drive a taxi or a private hire car (mini-cab) or operate a mini-cab business has the appropriate licences before they can carry fare paying passengers.
There are individual licences for drivers, vehicle and operators. Some drivers will have two licences enabling them to drive a private hire car (mini-cab) and a Hackney Carriage (black taxi).
Before issuing the respective licences, there is certain criteria that the Licensing Authority must ensure is met.
For drivers licences the following must be satisfied:
- he/she must be a fit and proper person to hold a licence - personal references will be sought
- he/she must be medically fit - a relevant medical certificate must be obtained
- he/she must be at least 21 years old
- he/she must have held a full drivers licence granted under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1998 or is authorised by virtue of Section 99A(1) or section 109(1) of that Act to drive, in Great Britain, a motor car
- he/she must pass a police criminality check carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to ensure safety to the public
- a 'knowledge' test of local routes must be passed to ensure job competency. As Hackney Carriage drivers work without the support of a mini-cab office, a higher degree of knowledge will be needed to pass the test.
Knowledge Test Information
The first step in obtaining a driver's licence is to pass the Council's knowledge test. This ensures that prospective applicants have a good knowledge of the geography of Dartford. We will also assess other skills you will need as a taxi driver, including English proficiency and numeracy.
For vehicle licences the following documents must be presented:
- a valid MOT test certificate of less than 15 days old
- a vehicle registration certificate
- a 'hire and reward' insurance policy certificate
The vehicle will also be inspected by the Licensing Authority to ensure that it is suitable (in respect of size, design and condition).
For an operators licence to be granted, it needs to be confirmed that:
- The address from which they intend to operate is within the Borough of Dartford
- The business will not 'disturb' the ambience of the area in which it is located
- If the premises has public access, a waiting room etc, that it holds a certificate of Public Liability
For more information on becoming an Operator in Dartford please read the Operator Information Pack PDF, 73.01 KB
Taxi Licensing Policy
The Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy was adopted by the Licensing Committee on the 25th March 2014 coming into effect on 1st April 2014:
All applications for licences and knowledge tests will incur a fee Current Fees PDF, 92.63 KB
Payments for a Licence or knowledge test can be made here.
For any other query or complaint relating to Dartford's Hackney Carriage or Private Hire services please contact the Council's Vehicle Licensing Officer on 01322 343340.
All licensed taxis will be displaying identification plates on the vehicles and an identification badge on their person. If you are in any doubt whether a taxi or its driver are licensed - do not get into the cab .