Name: Community Safety - Frequently Asked Questions
Description: Community Safety - Frequently Asked Questions

Community Safety - Frequently Asked Questions


What is community safety?

Community Safety is all about making our communities safer and better places to work and live. It is concerned with reducing crime and disorder, responding to public fears and perceptions, tackling the problems through multi-agency working and supporting victims.

What is a CSP?

Community Safety Partnerships (formally Crime and Disorder Partnerships) were created by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, the act requires statutory agencies; local authorities, police authorities, fire services and health authorities set up a CSP to work with partners, the community and voluntary sector to tackle crime and disorder, anti-social behaviour, substance misuse and reduce re-offending in its area. You can find out more information about the Dartford Community Safety Partnership here.

Is it a legal duty for public services to consider community

Yes, Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 requires the statutory agencies to consider crime and disorder reduction in the exercise of their duties, activities and decision making. This means that all policies, strategies and service delivery need to consider the likely impact on crime and disorder. This legal duty affects all Council services as well as agencies that are contracted by, or that legally contract to work in partnership with, the Council and its provision of its services.

What are Safe Dartford / Safe Gravesham?

They are the banners under which a Community Safety Unit operates in Dartford and Gravesham civic centres. The unit is the operational arm of the CSP and maintains the day to day business.

How do I report a crime?

In an emergency always dial 999, in non-emergency situations contact Kent Police on 101

I'd like to report a crime but don't want to give my name.
Can I do this?

Yes, in an emergency always dial 999. In non-emergency situations contact Kent Police on 101. Remember that Police enquiries may be hampered if you do not supply your details and therefore you are encouraged to provide details where possible.

What are PCSOs?

Police Community Support Officers are uniformed police staff but NOT police officers. They support neighbourhood beat officers in the local community by addressing quality of life issues that affect neighbourhoods. The PCSO provides a highly visible patrolling presence on the streets, providing reassurance and supporting partnership working. They do not have the powers of a police officer but already have made a significant contribution to many communities.

What is Neighbourhood Policing?

Kent Police has dedicated neighbourhood police officers, assisted by PCSOs in each ward across the county of Kent. Full details of your local officer can be found at the Kent Police website (opens a new window).

Where can I get crime prevention advice?

There are several ways to do this, either contact your local police station direct or information is readily available online at the crime reduction website (opens a new window).

How do I report problems of anti-social behaviour?

It can be reported direct to Police on 101 or to your local Community Safety Unit via 01322 343 000 or use our online form Report Anti-Social Behaviour. For more details go to our Contact Us page. Please see the anti-social behaviour section.

What can be done to reduce anti-social behaviour?

A wide range of agencies are working hard to tackle these issues. Working in partnership with other agencies, we have a wide range of tools available which combine prevention, education and enforcement. More information can be found in our .

How can I find out about my local Neighbourhood Watch scheme?

The Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator works from North Kent Police Station at Ebbsfleet, they can be contacted on 101 or via the Kent Police website (opens a new window). You will also find more information on our page.

What do I do if I am suffering from a problem with nuisance motorcycles?

For motorcycles to be legally ridden on the road they have to comply with road traffic law. Those ridden on private land can only do so with the permission of the landowner. Both Police and Council regularly arrange operations to tackle nuisance motorcycles where both warning notices and seizures of the bikes take place. For more information contact your local Community Safety Unit, please see our Contact Us page for the details.

How do I get help to deal with noisy neighbours?

Noise nuisance is dealt with by your local Council, for more information contact your own Council, for Dartford 01322 343434 or Gravesham 01474 337000.

What can I do if I witness fly tipping?

Both Councils take fly tipping very seriously; make a note of the registration number, make and model of the offending vehicle and a description of the offenders if possible. Do not tackle the offender but contact your local council. You can report it online here. You may be asked to provide a witness statement and attend Court, if the offender can be traced. For more information contact Dartford on 01322 343434 or Gravesham 01474 337000.

Youths are continually hanging around on my street. What
can I do?

First of all ask yourself, are they really causing a problem? If they are causing an immediate problem, contact Kent Police on 101. If they cause a problem over a longer period of time, causing damage, graffiti, etc. keep a diary of incidents with as much information as possible. Contact the Community Safety Unit for your area, see our Contact Us page for the details.

Last Updated: 04th March 2021