Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

How to complain

What can you formally complain to us about?

Your complaint must be about something specific. You must tell us what you believe we have done wrong, how this has affected you and what you think we should do to put things right. Remember that we encourage you to resolve your complaint informally. Our complaints booklet  PDF, 697.24 KB will help you to understand how the system works.

When to make a formal complaint

You should complain to us within 3 months of when you first knew about the matter you are complaining about. If you leave it later, we may not be able to help.

Anonymous complaints

Anonymity makes it more difficult for us to properly investigate and understand your complaint, and to provide appropriate responses or redress. We may record and investigate anonymous complaints, but we do encourage names and addresses so we can report back.

How to make your formal complaint

We encourage you to make use of the online complaint form as it is the fastest way to reach us. If you register as an e-citizen you can also track the status of your complaint.

Please note that for security reasons, you have 20 minutes in which to complete the complaint form, failing which the system will 'time out' and you will lose the form and your information. Normally, the form takes a few minutes to complete. However, if you are concerned that you may not have enough time to type all you want to say, we suggest typing the information in a separate document first, then cut and paste the text into the complaint form.

It is not possible to add attachments to the online complaint form. If you have any documents to support your complaint, you must send us your complaint by post.

You can call our Customer Services on 01322 343434 and ask for a complaint form to be sent to you. Your complaint will normally be dealt with in a simple three stage process.

If a disability prevents you from making your complaint in writing, you can call our Customer Services on 01322 343434. We welcome calls via NGT Relay

Some complaints or appeals are dealt with differently for legal reasons e.g. fraud, homelessness and benefits. We will let you know when this applies.

Please send your complaint form (and the attached monitoring form) to the following address.

Corporate Complaints Officer

Privacy Policy - your personal information

Dartford Borough Council supports the objectives of the Data Protection Act 1998 and is registered as a data processor. If you use our complaints procedure, you are agreeing that we can use any personal information you send us for purposes connected with your complaint.

We may also give your personal information to other people and organisations if we have to do so by law or if you have given us permission.

Top   Last Updated: 02nd November 2017 Print Link