Workplace Health and Safety Concerns
If you are an employee and think the law is being broken or minimum health and safety standards are ignored within your workplace, you can:
- Speak to your employer and try to resolve the issue; and/or
- Contact your work/safety representative, or your trade union safety representative who can try to resolve the issue for you.
If the matter is not satisfactorily resolved, you can raise it with the relevant enforcing authority.
If you are a member of the public and have health and safety concerns about a workplace you can either contact the business directly or raise your concerns with the relevant enforcing authority.
There are two enforcing authorities:
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- Local Authorities.
Local Authorities are responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:
- Offices (except government offices)
- Leisure premises
- Nurseries and playgroups
- Pubs and clubs
- Museums (privately owned)
- Places of worship
- Sheltered accommodation and care homes
HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:
- Building sites
- Schools and colleges
- Gas, electricity and water systems
- Hospitals and nursing homes
- Central and local government premises
- Offshore installations
For premises enforced by the HSE go to their website.
For premises enforced by Local Authorities you must contact the Council in the area where the workplace is located. Find the relevant Local Authority.
To make a complaint or raise a concern about a workplace in the Borough of Dartford contact us Online: Contact the E.H Support Team or call 01322 343434.