- Reduce fire hazards. Contact Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 9237000 or visit www.kent.fire-uk.org for free home fire safety advice.
- Fit and maintain smoke alarms - at least one on every floor (check the batteries every week).
- Plan an escape route should fire break out at night (most fire deaths occur while people are sleeping).
- Consider storing important documents in a fire-proof safe.
- Don’t overload electricity sockets.
- Never leave cooking or candles unattended.
If fire breaks out
- Get out.
- Stay out.
- DO NOT use a lift.
- Dial 999 and follow the advice of the Fire Service.
- If you’re moving or trapped in smoke, stay close to the floor where the air is cleaner
- Never re-enter your home until the Fire and Rescue Service has made it safe.
Last Updated: 07th February 2019