Infectious diseases such as pandemic influenza, and animal diseases such as foot and mouth or avian flu, can be serious health hazards.
You can reduce the risks by observing good basic hygiene.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Dispose of dirty tissues promptly and carefully - bag and bin them.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Clean hard surfaces such as worktops, door handles and handrails frequently.
- Make sure you and your family are up to date with recommended vaccinations.
If you're worried about infectious disease
- Contact your GP, or
- Contact the NHS by dialling 111, or
- Visit the NHS Choices website www.nhs.uk.
For further advice and guidance from the Director of Public Health in Kent visit www.kent.gov.uk, from the Director of Public Health in Medway visit www.medway.gov.uk, and from Public Health England visit www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england.