Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

Community infrastructure levy

21 Jan 2019 1:59pm

Community Infrastructure Levy

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a charge on development to contribute to funding infrastructure. It will help to pay for things such as schools, health facilities and transport improvements, necessary to support new development.

The charge applies to most new development where new floorspace is proposed of 100 square metres or more or where a new dwelling is created. The amount payable will depend on the relevant rate(s) and the number of square metres of new Gross Internal Area (GIA) proposed. The charge will be calculated when planning permission is given, and must be paid when development commences.

Please click here for Dartford's Easy Guide to CIL    PDF, 1323.19 KB This document for the Borough, in 'FAQ' style, outlines issues such: as who pays CIL, when to provide information and pay, relief availability; it also provides worked examples.

The current charge will reflect the cumulative increases in construction costs in the years since the Dartford CIL Charging Schedule was adopted in April 2014, through the national index of construction costs (for 2018 this is just over 35.5% which will be applied to all original charging rates).  The original charging rates for eligible development are set out in Dartford's  Charging Schedule PDF, 4351.62 KB PDF, 4433.57 KB

The Dartford 123 List PDF, 96.62 KB sets out the types of infrastructure projects which may be funded by CIL (and not the focus of Section 106 agreements).

Further details of income and how it has been spent can be found in the monitoring reports here.

Forms and Further Information

If your development is likely to be CIL liable you should complete this CIL Additional Information Form and submit this with your planning application. Some building works don't pay CIL (e.g. Buildings which people don't normally go into or only to perform maintenance/ conversions or mezzanines where no other development is proposed). However, by using the additional information form, existing floorspace on the development site which is to be demolished or have change of use can be deducted against CIL liability.  This floorspace will have to have been in continuous lawful use for 6 months in the last 3 years.

The Council must be served a commencement notice prior to commencing development. This has to state the date when construction will begin.

It is useful to clarify who is liable for the CIL charge. This is notified to the Council by completing and submitting this Assumption of Liability Form (this will be required for some kinds of exemption of relief). For a large sum, it may be possible to pay the charge over several instalments.  Details are given in Dartford's Instalment Policy.PDF, 143.99 KB PDF, 166.37 KB

Claiming Relief or Exemption from paying CIL

Exemptions from the CIL Charge

  1. Self-build homes - this includes where a contractor or housebuilder is commissioned to build a home by an individual for their own use.  Claim Form Part 1 and Claim Form Part 2
  2. Residential annexes - Form 8
  3. Or extensions Form 9 within the grounds of an individual's home.

Relief from the CIL Charge

  1. Development by charities for charitable purposes (subject to meeting specific criteria).
  2. Affordable housing; an application for relief must be submitted by the landowner.
  3. To seek relief for affordable housing or for development built for charitable purposes complete this Claim Form.

The Council has enforcement powers; and penalties may apply if information is not supplied or payment is not made within the set time period.

CIL Background - National and Local

For information about CIL generally and how it works please see the following:

Dartford's CIL was introduced, after two rounds of public consultation and independent examination.  The Examiner's Report, 14 November 2013 concluded that the rates proposed by the Council are appropriate, supported by sufficient evidence and set at a level which will not put the overall development in the Borough at risk.

Please note each claim will need to meet specific eligibility criteria and may require supporting documents.  A claim must be submitted before commencement of the consented schemes.

Further information is available from: Contact us Online or phone 01322 343213.