Be alert:

While it's important to go about your daily business normally, it's sensible to be alert to anyone who might be endangering the public.

  • Always report anyone acting suspiciously. Your information may be vital
  • If you come across anything that might be linked with terrorist activity, tell the police - they want to hear from you
  • Take note of odd or unusual behaviour by tenants or guests at a property - terrorists need somewhere to live
  • Take note of any unusual security measures at a home or business premises
  • Be aware of terrorists' scams to finance their activities: eg: bogus bank accounts, copied credit cards, returning goods for large cash refunds
  • If you're a retailer, note anything suspicious about equipment purchases
  • Make sure you know the security plans at your workplace, and what to do in an emergency

To report suspicious activity:

  • Dial 999 in an emergency
  • Dial Kent Police on 101 for non-emergencies
  • Dial the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321
  • Contact Crimestoppers - a national organisation independent of the police. You can talk confidentially on 0800 555 111

If there's a security incident:

Follow the instructions of the emergency services. In most cases, including bomb warnings:

  • Go in to a safe building
  • Stay in until you're advised to do otherwise
  • Tune in to local radio or TV for more information

If there's an explosion nearby:

  • Unless you've been advised otherwise by the emergency services, in most cases you should:
  • Move away from the immediate source of danger
  • Wait for the emergency services to arrive and examine you (if you leave unchecked you could contaminate others)
  • If you've seen the explosion, stay in a safe place and tell the police what you saw

If the incident or explosion involves a chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear agent:

  • The emergency services will quickly decontaminate you on the spot if necessary (this involves showering and temporary clothing), so that other people and areas, including homes, are not contaminated
  • You may also be assessed by health service experts

If your building is evacuated:

  • If the emergency services tell you to evacuate your home you should do so. Refusing to leave will put you, your household and those trying to help you at risk
  • Local authority resources may be limited, so you should try to stay with an emergency friend
  • If you're stranded, the council will provide basic accommodation at a rest centre
  • Evacuation may be for some time, from a few hours to several months, so be sure to bring your emergency 'grab bag'
  • If you have pets, plan where they can stay, as there'll only be basic facilities at the rest centre
  • Rest centre staff are trained to give you support and advice. They'll help you through the stress of an evacuation and prepare you for what to do afterwards