Council Tax Rebate
Earlier this year, the Government launched the Council Tax Rebate Scheme. Under the scheme, households who live in Council Tax Bands A to D properties are entitled to a £150 payment to help with the rising cost of living.
The payment is available until 30 September 2022 and does not have to be repaid. We are making the payments on behalf of the Government.
Households who pay by Direct Debit
We have already paid the Rebate to households in bands A to D who pay by Direct Debit.
Households who need to register for the rebate
Some households need to register to claim the rebate. These are:
- Households who pay the Council Tax by means other than Direct Debit
- Households who have a Council Tax exemption
- Households who pay by Direct Debit but it's not been possible to transfer the money to their bank accounts.
If you fall into one of these categories, you'll soon recieve a letter from us explaing how to register.
You can choose to have the rebate paid into your bank account or have the money taken off your Council Tax bill.
Before you register, please have the following to hand:
- Our recent letter explaining how to claim the rebate
- Your Council Tax account reference number
- Your bank account number and sort code and a scan a recent bank statement or a screenshot from your online banking service if you want the money paid to your bank account. This is so we can verify the bank account holder.
Protect yourself from fraud
Remember - we will never call you asking for your bank details in relation to the Council Tax Rebate or any other Council business.