In some circumstances, live-in carers are not counted for Council Tax and you may be able to get a reduction in your bill of 25%.

The carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be:

  • The partner of the person who is being cared for; or
  • The child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18

The person receiving care must also get one of these benefits:

  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury

Apply for a carer's discount