You may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax if someone aged 18 or over lives with you but they are 'severely mentally impaired'. This will include people who have been diagnosed with severe, permanent mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

Their condition must be confirmed by a doctor.

The mentally disabled person must also qualify for one of these benefits (even if they do not receive it, for example because they are pension age)

  • Short term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)

A reduction cannot be given if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes.

Apply for a reduction because someone in your household is severely mentally impaired