Animal Boarding Licence
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) introduced a new licensing regime on 1st October 2018. To run a boarding kennel or cattery in the borough of Dartford, you need a licence from us. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions. The Council may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises at further cost.
Applicants must be over 18 years of age, and any person who will have control or management of the establishment, should not have been disqualified from:
- Keeping a pet shop
- Keeping a dog
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment
- Keeping a riding establishment
- Having custody of animals
The applicant, or any person who will have control or management of the establishment, must not have been disqualified or convicted of offences under the:
- Animal Welfare Act 2006
- Animal Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
- Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
- Any other legislation listed in Schedule 8 of the LAIA Regulations 2018
The licence will run for one, two or three years, from the date of issue. You will receive a one to five star rating on your licence, with a five star rating being the highest possible award. The rating we give you will be an accurate reflection of the level of risk of your business, and the animal welfare standards you adopt. The star rating will be provided on the licence issued by the council. The cost is the same regardless of the length of the licence granted, rewarding complaint businesses and driving up standards in the sector.
The scoring matrix determines the star rating. It takes into account the animal welfare standards adopted by the business and your level of risk (based on elements such as past compliance).
- Lower Risk - Minor Failings - 1 star, 1 year licence
- Lower Risk - Minimum Standards - 3 star, 2 year licence
- Lower Risk - Higher Standards - 5 star, 3 year licence
- Higher Risk - Minor Failings - 1 star, 1 year licence
- Higher Risk - Minimum Standards - 2 star, 1 year licence
- Higher Risk - Higher Standards - 4 star, 2 year licence
See further details in the Procedural Guidance
The licence is subject to a fee of £435, renewal fee is £389 (+ recharge of vet fee where incurred)
Please read the conditions and guidance here before you apply for a licence
Apply by post or in person:
To request an application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01322 343434.
Payment can be made by phone 01322 343434 quoting Ref H1380 9451 VAT 8 or by cheque with the application form.
Return the completed form with payment to:
Dartford Borough Council