Food (including drinks) which is exported may require an export certificate. Now that the UK has left the European Union, this may include exports to EU member countries along with Northern Ireland as part of new export arrangements.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and their delivery agent the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) are the main bodies responsible for issuing food export certification. In the first instance, food businesses wishing to export food should check whether there is a Defra-issued export certificate for the product to be exported, which has been agreed with the country the food is to be sent to.

Dartford Borough Council can provide export certification for certain types of food and drinks. Please contact us via our online form or by calling 01322 343434 to discuss with us whether we can help you and what it costs.

It is the responsibility of the exporting business to find out what the import requirements are in the destination country before seeking to obtain export certification.


Useful Links:

Food and Drink Exporters Association
Food Standards Agency - Exports of Food and Drink