What is food poisoning:
Food poisoning is a general term applied to illnesses picked up from contaminated food or water. Symptoms may include one or more of the following:
- Stomach cramps
The time taken from eating the food to feeling unwell varies with each type of organism (bug) and in some cases can be 10-15 days after consumption of the food. It is therefore important to realise that the last meal you ate may not be the cause of your symptoms. Food doesn't need to smell or look 'off' to be contaminated with food poisoning bacteria.
What causes food poisoning:
There are many different organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites that can cause upset stomachs. Having these symptoms does not necessarily mean you have food poisoning.
How to let us know if you think you might have food poisoning:
If you think that you have been made ill by eating from a restaurant, takeaway or other food business in the Dartford Borough please contact us using our online form or call 01322 343434. We will ask you to complete a food poisoning questionnaire, before determining the appropriate course of action. Where necessary food businesses which are implicated are visited. However, we are unable to carry out a formal investigation if you have not seen your GP and submitted a faecal specimen for analysis.
How to stop the illness spreading:
- Wash your hands after contact with the sick person, and before touching food
- Do not use the same towel or face cloth as the person who is ill
- Clear up 'soiling' accidents straightaway, wash with hot soapy water and disinfect with a disinfectant or bleach
- Disinfect door and toilet handles, taps and the toilet seat after use and disinfect the toilet bowl frequently
- Drink plenty of fluids while you are ill to prevent dehydration
If you work in a food business or work with elderly, young children or ill people you must advise your employer if you have symptoms of food poisoning. You should not return to work if you have been suffering diarrhoea and/or vomiting until you have been symptom-free for 48 hours.