If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it.

Before you get in touch:

It may be possible to put some health and safety problems right without contacting us. You could speak to

  • the person in charge of the work
  • your employer
  • your union or employee representative

You may also find it useful to check what your employer should be doing to keep their workplace safe and healthy by looking at the Health and Safety Executive website.

If you are a member of the public and have health and safety concerns about a workplace you can either contact the business directly or raise your concerns with the relevant enforcing authority.

There are two enforcing authorities:

  • Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
  • Local Authorities

Local Authorities are responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:

  • Offices (except government offices)
  • Shops
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Leisure premises
  • Nurseries and playgroups
  • Pubs and clubs
  • Museums (privately owned)
  • Places of worship
  • Sheltered accommodation and care homes

HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:

  • Factories
  • Farms
  • Building sites
  • Mines
  • Schools and colleges
  • Fairgrounds
  • Gas, electricity and water systems
  • Hospitals and nursing homes
  • Central and local government premises
  • Offshore installations

For premises enforced by the HSE go to their website to report a concern.

For premises enforced by Local Authorities you must contact the Council in the area where the workplace is located. Find the relevant Local Authority.

To make a complaint or raise a concern about a workplace in the Borough of Dartford contact us Online: Contact the E.H Admin Team or call 01322 343434.

Further Information:

Health and Safety Enforcing Authority - A-Z guide to allocation