Licensable Activities:

  • Sales of alcohol;
  • The sale of hot food and/or drink between 11pm and 5am;
  • Provision of Regulated Entertainment

Types of Licence:

Premises licences will be required to provide any of the licensable activities in a specific place. The 'premises' can be a fixed building, a temporary structure such as a tent or an outside space. Premise licences may be either granted on an open-ended basis (subject to an annual licence fee), or may be granted for a shorter period for occasional events.

It may be possible to have more than one premise licence for a place. Where alcohol is also to be sold, a named premise supervisor must also be designated (Designated Premises Supervisor - DPS).

A Personal licence to sell alcohol. Applicants will be able to apply for licences providing they are over 18; possess a relevant licensing qualification; are free from specific criminal convictions and have not had a licence revoked within the previous five years.

Temporary Event Notices (TEN's) are required for short-term occasional events or temporary variations to premises licences/club premises certificates providing the activity in question does not last for more than 96 hours, less than 500 people are present at any one time, and that no more than 15 days' activities are conducted at any one premises per year.

Alternatively you can telephone the licensing section on 01322 343000 and request guidance notes or application forms to be posted to you.

Guidance relating to Licensing is also available from the Government:

General advice:

  • Apply early for any type of licence required - (minimum 2 months notice);
  • Remember, you could be prosecuted if you do not have an appropriate licence for your event;
  • If you intend to supply alcohol at your event, you will need to obtain a licence;
  • Event organisers need to recognise the importance of managing sale and consumption of alcohol, and the effect it may have upon the control of your event, particularly in relation to young people. It is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under 18;
  • Any person employed at the event to control admissions, keep order, remove people causing disorder, or searching premises or people must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA)