This section is particularly intended for organisers with an outside event on or near the highway such as a street party, parade or carnival. Police and Council follow national guidelines which advise against holding events on the highway in the interests of road safety for both participants and other road users.

Depending on the circumstances the Council may or may not grant a closure order. Clearly it's very important therefore to know well in advance. You can get informal information from the Licensing Team the Council. The appropriate forms can be obtained from the Council.

Two main types of road closures will be used for events: a Section 21'Town Police Clauses Act 1847' and a Section 14 or 16 'Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984'. Most road closures for small events will be processed under Section 21.

Section 21 'Town Police Clauses Act 1847':

Used for road closures during special events.

There is a ten week notice period needed to organise the closure.

The notice is displayed solely on the street to inform people locally of the reasons for closure. The organiser is responsible for providing, maintaining and removing all signs and barriers. There is no charge for this type of road closure but administrative charges may apply.

The organiser will have to provide, maintain and remove road closure signs. The Council can provide names of suppliers.

Section 14 or 16 'Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984':

Used for all types of temporary traffic orders including road closures.

Used for programmed events which may require any type of restriction. This includes road closures, waiting restrictions, speed limits etc.

There is a ten week notice period needed to organise the closure.

The organiser is responsible for directly informing residents and providing, maintaining and removing all signs and barriers.

The Council charges organisers for this type of Road Closure because the Road Closure Notices have to be advertised in local newspapers. Costs will vary depending on which newspapers advertise the Notice, but will be in the region of £500 to £1000 plus VAT.

Applying for a Street Closure Order:

Council and Police view events held on the Public Highway as potential road safety hazards. Therefore we do not encourage events on the Public Highway, but we recognise that there are occasions when this is unavoidable.

Applications for road closures should be made a minimum of 10 weeks prior to the event. This enables us to carry out a risk assessment to identify whether or not your event clashes with other major events or planned road closures.

If clashes occur, we may not grant your application and may recommend that you consider an alternative date or venue. Ignoring such advice could seriously affect the safety of people attending the event and disrupt every day community life. Your insurance cover could also be affected.

The type of legal order that will be required will be at the discretion of the Council Officers processing an application.

The organiser shall arrange to clear litter from the area and dispose of it appropriately following the event.

Full details of the event are required for the legal Traffic Order including timings, streets to be closed and alternative routes. Special requirements such as parking restrictions in or adjacent to the closure should also be highlighted.

Any event on the highway must be adequately signed and the signs must be approved by the Council. It should be noted that advertising on the Public Highway is illegal and is therefore not permitted.

The event organiser is required to carry a MINIMUM of £5million Public Liability Insurance and must indemnify the Council against all third party liabilities. The Insurance Certificate must be enclosed with the road closure application.

Failure to enclose this information will prevent the application being processed. It is a good idea to consult with the relevant Town or Parish Council, who will be able to provide a valuable coordination function, ensuring that no clashes occur with other local events.

The event organiser must consult with Police to ensure that they are satisfied with the provisions made for safety.