Certain types of development can be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development, and covers a wide range of minor developments by householders, farmers and foresters.

It also includes developments by statutory undertakers - this term covers a wide variety of public bodies, such as gas and electricity providers, water boards and telecommunications operators.

In some circumstances, local authorities may wish to control the way people can exercise these rights where there is a clear and immediate threat to the amenity of the area. This is done by means of a direction under Article 4 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 Order.

Article 4 directions are sometimes made to cover parts of a conservation area where its character is under threat because of in appropriate building alterations.

Authorities have the power to make directions withdrawing permitted development rights within all or any of the Parts of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015. The Secretary of State must approve or confirm certain types of direction.

If approved, a direction has the effect of requiring an application for planning permission to be made in the normal way. There is no fee for a planning application required as a result of an Article 4 direction.

Further advice:

For advice as to whether your property is affected by an Article 4 direction, contact the Development Control Section on 01322 343203 or Online: Contact Planning Admin Team

For further Government advice on this please view the following: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-is-permission-required#article4