Name: Welfare Reform and Universal Credit
Description: Welfare Reform and Universal Credit
Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

Welfare Reform and Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) has been introduced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to replace a range of benefits for people of working age who are on a low income.  UC is administered solely by the DWP.  It is gradually being introduced in stages and will eventually replace the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit has now been rolled out to all new claimants in Dartford. This means that if you live in the Dartford Borough you will need to claim your housing costs through Universal Credit, unless you:

  • live in a postcode area starting DA1 4, DA5 2 or DA14 5
  • have reached State Pension age
  • have more than two children and have not received Universal Credit within the last six months
  • live in supported accommodation
  • are in temporary accommodation placed by our Housing Options Team.

If you do fall into one of these categories please complete our Online Housing Benefit claim form.

If you don't fall into one of these categories you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit.

For more information on eligibility and how to claim please check the Universal Credit guidance.

Benefit Cap

In 2013 the Government introduced a benefit cap setting a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get.  From 7 November 2016 the cap amount and the benefits that are affected by the cap have changed.  For more information please check the benefits cap guidance.  If you think you will be affected, the benefit cap calculator can give you an estimate of how much your benefit might be capped.

Last Updated: 05th September 2018 Print Link

Share Facebook Share Twitter