Approved food premises and approval under Regulation (EC) 853/2004
All food businesses must be registered, but certain businesses who supply products of animal origin to other businesses may require approval before they start trading. Operating without the required approval is an offence for which you could be prosecuted.
Businesses which may require approval include those that make, prepare, store or distribute products of animal origin. For example:
- Meat and poultry - whether fresh, frozen or cooked
- Mechanically separated/recovered meat
- Meat products such as pies, sausage rolls, faggots, black pudding and bacon
- Raw or partially cooked minced meat or meat preparations such as sausages, burgers, marinated raw meat and kebab meat
- Fish and fish products such as fish fingers, prawns, lobsters, crabs and crayfish - whether dead or alive
- Live bivalve molluscs
- Ready meals containing fish or meat
- Milk and dairy products such as butter, cream, cheese, yoghurt, ice-cream
- Egg and egg products
- Frogs legs and snails
- Rendered animal fats and other animal by products such as gelatine, collagen, stomachs, bladders and intestines
- Honey and blood
Businesses who only sell direct to the public do not require approval. There are other exemptions from approval, but these are complicated and will need to be assessed on a case by case basis.
Establishments that need approval must comply with some additional product specific and structural requirements as detailed in EC Regulation 853/2004, as well as the general hygiene requirements in EC Regulation 852/2004.
If it is determined that your business requires approval an application form will be provided. You will need to complete and return the form with the following information.
- A detailed scale plan showing the location of rooms and other areas to be used for the storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste, and the layout of facilities and equipment.
- Details of the food safety management system based on HACCP principles
- Establishment and equipment maintenance arrangements
- Establishment, equipment, and transport cleaning arrangements
- Waste collection and disposal arrangements
- Water supply
- Water supply quality testing arrangements
- Arrangements for product testing
- Pest control arrangements
- Monitoring arrangements for staff health
- Staff hygiene training arrangements
- Arrangements for record keeping
- Arrangements for applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping
If you think your business needs approval please Contact the E.H Admin Team or call 01322 343434 for further advice and to request an application form.