Your browser does not support JavaScript. This website will not function as it was designed to. Please enable Javascript within your browser

Choose the right premises:

Before starting you must Choose the right premises

Register your business:

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register at least 28 days before opening. Certain types of food premises, generally manufacturers using products of animal origin, are subject to specific regulations and need to be approved instead.

The Food Standards Agency website provides more information on who needs to register.


Make sure that members of staff that handle food are properly trained in food hygiene and safety, including allergens, before they start work.


Manage food safety


The Council is responsible for enforcing food hygiene laws. Authorised Officers have the right to enter and inspect your premises at any reasonable time, usually without making an appointment.

To help prepare for your food safety inspection use the food safety checklist.

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme:

Following a food safety inspection the majority of businesses will be issued with a Food Hygiene Rating, which is published on the Food Standards Agency website. A toolkit is available to help businesses promote their rating. There is an option for businesses to improve their rating by applying for a re-rating inspection which costs £200 for each visit.

Further Information:

Subscribe to news and alerts from the Food Standards Agency
Industry guides to good food hygiene
Food Standards Agency - Starting a food business from home
Mobile food venders and street trading
Guidance for mobile traders (CIEH)
Distance selling, mail order and food delivery
Better Business for All
Providing food at community and charity events

Contact Us:

For any further enquiries Contact the Food Safety Team or call 01322 343434