Starting a Food Business
If you are planning to run a food business in our Borough you must register with us. Your registration form should be received 28 days before you start.
Registration applies to anyone producing, processing or distributing food, whether you are a large business or a sole trader and whether you are charging money for food or not. Food businesses include catering and retail premises, catering businesses run from home, mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans, and food brokers. (Food also includes drink).
Before starting you must
- Register your food business at least 28 days before opening. Certain types of food premises, generally manufacturers using products of animal origin, are subject to specific regulations and need to be approved instead of registered.
- Check that you have the appropriate planning permission. If you plan to run a business from home you are advised to speak to the planning department.
- Council tenants who wish to run a business from home must obtain permission by completing a 'Home Enterprise Application Form' PDF, 246.4 KB.
- Check whether any licences are required e.g. businesses supplying alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment.
- Have adequate food safety supervision, instruction and/or training in place.
- Have a written food safety management system in place based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles.
- Comply with Food Safety Regulations
- Comply with Health and Safety Legislation
Starting up - Your first steps to running a catering business
Food hygiene - A guide for businesses
Food law inspections and your business
Good hygiene is good for your business
Allergen information for loose foods
Guidance for mobile traders (CIEH)
Guidance on the application of EU food hygiene law to community and charity food provision
Guidance for 'Foods Sold Online'
Hygiene and food safety guidance from the Food Standards Agency
Health and safety information sheet - Maintenance priorities
Childminders - Registration and Food
Kent and Medway Business Start Up Pack
Better Business for All
For any further enquiries contact us Online: Contact the E.H Support Team or call 01322 343434