Before starting a mobile food business check where you want to trade, for example on a market, in an open space, trading on a street or lay-by, or at an organised event.

To trade on private land you need the permission of the landowner and should speak to the planning department to see if any planning permission is required.

If you want to trade on a street, there are a number of streets in the borough which you cannot trade on.  Contact the Kent County Council Highways Department if you want to trade on a major road or lay-by.

The Environmental Health Department does not give permission to trade on specific pitches/areas or issue street trading licences.

You need to register your food business at least 28 days before opening. If you aren't sure where you need to register your mobile business or stall, check the Food Standards Agency website or contact us.

Your business will be inspected by us to make sure food hygiene laws are being followed. 

Most food business will receive a National Food Hygiene Rating, this will generally be given by the Local Authority you are registered with. 

Further Information:

Starting and running a food business
Dartford Market and Dartford Farmers Market
The Nationwide Caterers Association (NCASS)
CIEH National Guidance for Mobile and Outdoor Catering