Name: Construction and Demolition Sites
Description: Construction and Demolition Sites

Construction and Demolition Sites

Construction and demolition sites are noisy and invariably neighbours, especially where development is taking place near to existing residential properties, will be affected from time to time by noise.

The Council considers that, in most circumstances, where work is being undertaken by a property occupier in their own home that this is DIY.

Construction and demolition are lawful and necessary activities and so it is considered that nearby residents should be tolerant of disruption during the work.

On occasion, the levels of disruption at neighbouring properties may be significant for example where piling is required, or works are taking place on a party wall. Whilst this disruption is unfortunate the Council cannot stop this type of work if it is being undertaken using recognised construction techniques.

Making a complaint

The Environmental Protection Team can investigate complaints where noise from construction and demolition sites occurs outside of the following recommended hours:

  • Monday to Friday: 08:00 to 18:00
  • Saturday: 08:00 to 13:00
  • Sundays and Public Holidays: No working

We are unlikely to be able to stop works occurring within the recommended hours, although we may be able to discuss the nature of the works with the site manager and agree informal improvements.

We will normally telephone you to talk about the problem. If appropriate we may visit you out of hours, and we will contact the construction company.

We are unable to investigate anonymous complaints and it is necessary for the source of the noise to have been identified before you contact the Council.

Refer a matter to the Environmental Protection Team

Out of Hours

If you are being affected by works at a construction or demolition site out of hours you can contact our Out of Hours Service in the following times:

  • Friday and Saturday- 18:00 to 00:00

Normally an Out of Hours Officer will telephone you to discuss your complaint. If appropriate to do so the officer may either contact the contractor by telephone or visit your property and/ or the construction site.

The Council's out of Hours Service can be contacted on 01322 343434 (please note Environmental Protection do not charge for calls to our service).

Last Updated: 05th March 2021