All tenants may apply for assistance to pay their rent. The amount of benefit you receive and where you receive it from will depend on your circumstances including your  income, savings, the number of children and others living with you as well as on how much rent you pay.  Contact the Rents Team immediately for advice and assistance by calling (01322) 343134 or via our online form as benefits are not usually backdated.

If your income has been affected as a direct result of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and you are struggling to pay your rent, or have health problems please continue to contact us to discuss how we may be able to help with short term solutions.

Our priorities will continue to be:

*Contacting tenants in arrears to agree suitable affordable repayment plans
*Signpost to the benefits available and guidance about how to claim
*Help with budgeting advice and offer access to income and expenditure reviews
*Supporting tenants with any difficulties around their Universal Credit / Housing benefit claims
*Agreeing for the housing element of your Universal Credit to be paid directly to us (if appropriate)
*Signpost to partner organisations for specialist assistance and advice if required.

Claiming Universal Credit or housing benefit:

Universal Credit has now been rolled out to all new claimants in Dartford. This means that if you live in the Dartford Borough and you need help with your rent for the first time you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit, unless you:

  • Have reached State Pension age and your partner (if you have one) has also reached State Pension age
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Are in temporary accommodation placed by our Housing Options Team
  • Are already in receipt of Housing Benefit within this local authority and are moving to an alternative address

If you do fall into one of these categories please complete our online housing benefit claim form.

If you don't fall into one of these categories you will need to make a claim for housing costs through Universal Credit.

The Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Homepage provides details on housing benefit, and discretionary payments you may be entitled to as well as a link to details about Universal Credit: Housing benefits

If you need advice on money, benefit or debt problems citizens’ advice services are continuing to run by telephone or online.
CAB Dartford 0808 278 7810 or on line

There is free, confidential and independent debt advice available if you are worried about debts or have missed payments. The government sponsored MoneyHelper can direct you to a debt adviser straight away by telephone or you can get support online via

For urgent debt advice contact the CAB debt line 0800 240 4420.

The Government has also put in place the Debt Respite Scheme. The following link provides more details about it and how it may be accessed via a debt advice provider: