Here you will find information about repairs, gas safety and long term improvements that the Council is carrying out to its homes and information on disabled adaptations as published in the Repairs Policy.



Communal Areas Cleaning:

Adapting your home - Council tenants:

The Council's Policy on the provision of disabled adaptations for council tenants can be found in the Disabled Adaptations Policy. If you feel that your home needs to be adapted we suggest that you contact the Occupational Therapy Bureau of Kent County Council (KCC) Social Services Department in the first instance. They can be contacted by telephone or in writing at:

Kent County Council
Occupational Therapy Bureau
Joynes House
New Road
Kent DA11 0AT
Tel: 03000 416161

Reporting a repair:

If you need to report a repair or fault in your property then contact Customer Services immediately to prevent any serious damage occurring. 

When reporting the repair, we need your name, address, telephone number and as much information as possible about the problem. We also need to know when you are at home or when you can give access to the contractor doing the work.

You can report a repair in any of the following ways:

  • Report a repair online
  • By telephone: 01322 343800
  • Emergency repairs out of hours: 0345 6341212
  • By fax: 01322 343619
  • By mail: Customer Services, Housing Services, Civic Centre, Home Gardens, Dartford, Kent DA1 1DR
  • By personal visit to the Civic Centre (opposite the railway station) or telling your Housing Officer, Housing Scheme Officer or the Estate Ranger

Emergency out of hours telephone number:

If an emergency occurs outside normal working hours you should telephone the Council's 24 hour emergency service on: 0345 6341212

This service is available to you if there is an immediate danger or risk to you or your home. It may be appropriate to carry out temporary repairs with follow up work being undertaken during normal office hours.

What happens next:

Provided we have enough information to tell the contractor what needs to be done, an order will be placed. If a Technical Officer needs to look at the problem before an order can be placed, a home visit will normally be made.

How long will I have to wait:

This will depend on the type of repair needed. You can view the repair timescales page for more information.

If there are any special circumstances which could make your repair more urgent, for example, if you are elderly, disabled or have young children, please tell us when you report the repair.

What happens if I miss an appointment with the contractor:

If you are not available when the contractor calls, they will leave a card to say they called.
Please note that after reporting an emergency repair using the out of hours telephone number, you may be charged for the call-out if there is no-one at home when the contractor calls. If the contractor misses the appointment please telephone Customer Services as soon as possible on 01322 343800.

What to expect when you move in - Void Standard:

You can also read the Council's leaflet: What to expect when you move in

Vacant properties which we let to you will all have been inspected to meet the following minimum standard:

  • Floors will be levelled and even - holes will be filled with a levelling compound
  • All properties will have had the electric and gas supplies checked for safety. No water pipes will leak
  • All properties will be cleaned
  • Where they present a hazard, fireplaces will be removed
  • Decorations will be left but if redecorating is required decoration allowances will be awarded
  • Kitchens worktops will be clean and be suitable for food preparation and all match. We will ensure that there is a minimum of 1 wall unit, 1 floor unit and a sink unit will be fitted. Plumbing for washing machines will be the responsibility of the tenant to provide
  • A full copy of the new standard is available upon request from Customer Services on 01322 343800

Responsibility for repairs

Information regarding responsibility for repairs

Repair timescales and complaints

Explains the timescales for repairs and what a tenant should do if they are unhappy with the service they have received

Damp or condensation

Damp occurs when a fault in the building’s basic structure lets in water from outside

Planned works

We aim to continue to meet the government's Decent Homes Standard’ and the programme is focused on kitchens, bathrooms, rewires and boiler replacements

Tenants right to compensation for improvements

You may make improvements to your home, including a new kitchen, bathroom and toilet and outside painting. You must contact your Housing Officer to agree to any of these changes in writing first and the work must be completed to an agreed standard

Annual gas safety checks

Annual gas safety checks