Abandoned Vehicles Reporting Removal Service - Privacy Notice
We provide a reporting service for vehicles allegedly abandoned on a public highway or private land in the borough of Dartford. A vehicle will only be removed if we are satisfied that the vehicle is abandoned. We need to collect your personal information to carry out this function.
Processing activity - our processing activities include:
- receiving reports of an alleged abandoned vehicle
- registered keeper details
- Police checks
- DVLA checks
- notice of removal
- general correspondence between you and us on matters related to our abandoned vehicles reporting and removal service
Information requirements - most of the information we hold about you is provided by you and may include:
- your address, telephone number, email address (to report or recover a vehicle);
- record of fee payments (excluding debit/credit card details) (removal, storage & destruction fees)
Lawful bases1- our lawful bases for processing your personal information are:
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(c) - our legal obligation(s) under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(e) and DPA 2018, section 8(c )- necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us under the above legislation
- where processing is necessary for the reasons of substantial public interest (UK GDPR Article 9(2)(g) and DPA 2018, section 10(3) and Schedule 1, Part 2, para.10) under the above legislation
Reasons for processing - some of the information we collect is classified as criminal convictions and offences (including alleged offences).
This is processed for reasons of substantial public interest under the laws that apply to us (see above) where this helps to meet our broader social obligations such as where it is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations and regulatory requirements. We have a Data Protection Policy that sets out how this information will be handled.
Data sharing - we may share with and receive personal information from:
- Council departments (including the Community Safety team)
- the Police (to aid with the detection and prevention of criminal acts)
- DVLA (registered keeper details)
- the Ombudsman (when you complain about our service)
- Kent County Council (removal of abandoned vehicles)
We may also rely on a number of exemptions, which allow us to share information without needing to comply with all the rights and obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018. Please refer to the Kent and Medway Information Agreement for further details on our sharing arrangements.
Retention period - we keep your personal information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this Privacy Notice will be kept for 2 years from date of case closure unless exceptional circumstances require longer retention eg: pending court case. All information will be held securely and disposed of confidentially.
Right to object - where processing your personal information is required for the performance of a public interest task (see our lawful bases above), you have the right to object on ‘grounds relating to your particular situation’.
We will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate for us to continue to use your personal data.
Anonymisation - your personal information may be converted ('anonymised') into statistical or aggregated data in such a way that ensures that you cannot be identified from it. Aggregated data cannot, by definition, be linked back to you as an individual and may be used to conduct research and analysis, including the preparation of statistics for use in our reports such as showing the number of complaints we receive and/or equalities monitoring, but not in a form which identifies anyone.
Changes to this Privacy Notice - we review this Privacy Notice regularly and will place updates on our website.
Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details of how we process your personal information and your rights.
1 Note that we may process your personal information on more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your information
GDPR/ Abandoned Vehicles Reporting & Removal Service Privacy Notice