Bereavement Services Privacy Notice
Privacy Notice for Bereavement Services
We provide a supportive and sensitive bereavement service to those who are experiencing the loss of a loved one. In order to provide a bereavement service to you, it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information.
Most of the personal information we hold about you is provided by you in your application(s) and supporting document(s).
Processing activity - we will process personal information relating to:
- burial applications
- memorial applications
- notification of death
- exhumation records
- purchase of grave
- transfer of exclusive rights of burial
- record of payment of fees (excluding bank/credit card details)
- general correspondence between you and us on matters related to the bereavement service
Information requirements - our processing activities may include:
- your address, telephone number, email address
Lawful bases1- our lawful bases for processing your personal information are:
- Article 6(1)(d) UK GDPR - our legal obligation(s) under the Burial Act 1857
- Article 6(1)(d) UK GDPR - Registration of Burials Act 1864
- Article 6(1)(d) UK GDPR - Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984 (Section 46)
- Article 6(1)(d) UK GDPR - our legal obligation(s) under the Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977
- Article 6(1)(e) UK GDPR & DPA 2018 section 8(c) - necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us under the above legislation
Data sharing - your information may be shared with the relevant service department. We may also share your information with a number of other organisations for example with stone masons, undertakers, courts and the Ombudsman (where you have complained to the Ombudsman and we are asked to investigate your complaint). We may share your information with elected Councillors and/or Member of Parliament where you have asked them to represent you.
We may rely on a number of exemptions, which allow us to share information without needing to comply with all the rights and obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018. Please refer to the Kent and Medway Information Agreement for further details on our sharing arrangements.
Retention period - we keep your personal information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this Privacy Notice will be kept in accordance with the retention periods referred to in the Bereavement Services Information Asset Register. All information will be held securely and disposed of confidentially.
Right to object - where processing your personal information is required for the performance of a public interest task (see our lawful bases above), you have the right to object on ‘grounds relating
to your particular situation’. We will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate for us to continue to use your personal data.
Changes to this Privacy Notice - we review this Privacy Notice regularly and will place updates on our website.
Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details of how we process your personal information and for details on your additional rights.
1 Note that we may process your personal information on more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your information
GDPR Privacy Notice Bereavement Services