Through the ReferKent Refernet system, and pursuant to a data sharing agreement with Kent County Council, we can help Dartford Borough adult residents get welfare support they need to alleviate their circumstances.
Processing activity – In certain circumstances, where we are unable to provide you with the required services, it may be appropriate to refer you to another organisation who may be able to help. We will identify an appropriate organisation from the referral network, and will let you know which organisation we intend to make the referral to. In the event that the organisation is unable to assist for whatever reason, we may refer you to another appropriate organisation in the referral network (and will let you know who that organisation is).
Information requirements - our processing activities may include:
- form of contact e.g. telephone number, email address or address
- reasons for requiring a referral
We also collect ‘special category data’ (personal information which is more sensitive and is treated with extra care and protection) such as information about your racial or ethnic origin and information concerning your health.
Data Controller - we and organisations in the referral network are independent data controllers of the personal information shared between us in accordance with a data sharing agreement.
Lawful bases - our lawful bases for processing your personal information are:
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(c) - necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject – section 179 Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017) and section 131 Welfare Reform Act 2012 (as amended), with ancillary powers confirmed by Local Government Act 1972 section 111 and Localism Act 2011 section 1
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(e) and section 8(c) Data Protection Act 2018 - processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us in service to the above legislation
- UK GDPR Article 9(2)(g), supplemented by Data Protection Act 2018 section 10(3) & Schedule 1, Part 2, paras 6(1) and (2)(a) – processing of ‘special category data’ (personal information which is more sensitive and is treated with extra care and protection) such as information about your racial or ethnic origin and information concerning your health
We have a Data Protection Policy that sets out how this information will be handled.
Data sharing - we may receive from and share your personal information with:
- Kent County Council Public Health
- Organisations in the referral network
- Our internal departments
The sharing of information facilitates a joined-up approach with organisations in the referral network, to ensure the provisions of appropriate support for adult residents of the Borough of Dartford.
We may rely on a number of exemptions, which allow us to share information without needing to comply with all the rights and obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018. Please refer to the Kent & Medway Information Agreement for further details on our sharing arrangements.
Retention period – we will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary. Personal data will be retained for 6 months unless Kent County Council identify that continued retention is necessary. All information will be held securely and disposed of confidentially.
Anonymisation- your personal information may be converted ('anonymised') into statistical or aggregated data in such a way that ensures that you cannot be identified from it. Aggregated data cannot, by definition, be linked back to you as an individual and may be used to conduct research and analysis, including the preparation of statistics for use in our reports.
Right to object – where processing your personal information is required for the performance of a public interest task (see our lawful bases above), you have the right to object on ‘grounds relating to your particular situation’. We will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate for us to continue to use your personal data.
Changes to this Privacy Notice – we review this Privacy Notice regularly and will place updates on our website.
Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details of how we process your personal information and for details on your additional rights.
 Note that we may process your personal information on more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your information