Waste and Recycling Services Privacy Notice
Privacy Notice for Waste & Recycling Services
We have a statutory duty to collect household waste (which includes general waste, recyclables, clinical, garden and bulky wastes) in the borough of Dartford. The Council is allowed to charge directly for some of these services such as bulky waste and garden waste collections.
We need to collect your personal information to carry out these functions.
Processing activity - most of the personal information we hold about you is provided by you in your application(s) for a waste service, such as a bulky waste collection, or when you complain to us. The information collected and held will vary and depend on the nature of the service. We will process personal information relating to:
- refuse collections
- recycling collections
- food waste collections
- garden waste collections
- bulky household waste collections
- clinical waste collections
- routine service requests
- general correspondence between you and us on matters related to the our waste and recycling service
Information requirements - this information may include:
- your address, telephone number, email address;
- record of fee payments (excluding debit/credit card details).
Lawful bases - our lawful bases for processing your personal information are:
- our legal obligation(s) under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- performance of a contract (e.g. where you have paid for a garden waste collection service)
- necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us under the above legislation
Reasons for processing - some of the information we collect is classified as:
- special category personal data (physical or mental health);
- criminal convictions and offences (including alleged offences).
This is processed for reasons of substantial public interest under the laws that apply to us (see above) where this helps to meet our broader social obligations such as where it is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations and regulatory requirements. We have a Data Protection Policy that sets out how this information will be handled.
Data sharing - we may share with and receive personal information from:
- Council departments (including the Community Safety team)
- our outsourced waste collection service provider
- the Police (to aid with the detection and prevention of criminal acts)
- the Ombudsman (when you complain about our service)
We may also rely on a number of exemptions, which allow us to share information without needing to comply with all the rights and obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018. Please refer to the Kent & Medway Information Agreement for further details on our sharing arrangements.
Retention period - we keep your personal information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this Privacy Notice will be kept in accordance with the retention periods referred to in the Waste & Recycling Services Information Asset Register. All information will be held securely and disposed of
Right to object - where processing your personal information is required for the performance of a public interest task (see our lawful bases above), you have the right to object on ‘grounds relating to your particular situation’. We will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate for us to continue to use your personal data.
Anonymisation - your personal information may be converted ('anonymised') into statistical or aggregated data in such a way that ensures that you cannot be identified from it. Aggregated data cannot, by definition, be linked back to you as an individual and may be used to conduct research and analysis, including the preparation of statistics for use in our reports such as showing the number of complaints we receive and/or equalities monitoring, but not in a form which identifies anyone.
Changes to this Privacy Notice - we review this Privacy Notice regularly and will place updates on our website
Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice for further details of how we process your personal information and your rights.
GDPR Waste & Recycling Services Privacy Notice