Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

Householder Development

01 Apr 2019 3:01pm

If you are a householder and are thinking about carrying out external works to your property or within your curtilage then you are advised to follow up to 4 steps as set out below:

1. Does your property benefit from Permitted Development rights?

Certain works within the curtilage of houses do not require planning permission and are considered 'permitted development.' These permitted development rights DO NOT apply to the following types of properties or works:

If your property falls within any of the above categories, it is likely planning permission is needed. Please go to step 3, otherwise, go to step 2.

2. Do you need planning permission?

With permitted development rights you are able to carry out a degree of additions, extensions and alterations without needing to apply for planning permission. Many extensions and internal works require Building Regulations approval, which is separate from planning permission. Please contact Building Control for further advice.

There are various ways in which you can check to see whether planning permission is required. We encourage use of our Permitted Development Guide to Householder Extensions PDF, 269.59 KB as a checklist. In addition or by way of alternative you may wish to use the Planning Portal's Interactive Detached House Tool or Semi-Detached/Terrace Tool.

If you are planning on having a dropped kerb installed please CLICK HERE for further advice on this and return to step 4 on this page if you have determined planning permission would be required for this and you wish to receive pre-application advice.

If you are satisfied that planning permission is not required then no further action is required on your part but please note it is up to you to use the above checklist or interactive tools as guides only and self-assessment of the limitations contained therein is not in itself confirmation that planning permission is not needed. For formal advice on proposed developments within existing residential plots please apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. The fee for this type of application can be found on our Schedule of Fees PDF, 787.84 KB. Full drawings are required for such a submission. You should apply ONLINE HERE.

If you are satisfied that planning permission is needed, please go to step 3.

3. Householder Pre-application Advice

We encourage and welcome the opportunity to provide advice before an application for planning permission is made. There are considerable benefits in seeking advice before making an application as:

In order for us to sustain and improve our current levels of service, the Council charges for householder pre-application advice, in addition to the fees payable for the submission of applications.

There are 2 'levels' of householder pre-application query:

Levels of Householder pre-Application Query



Response time



A meeting at the Civic Centre and follow-up written response

Meeting arranged within 5 working days. A written response to follow this will be provided within a timescale agreed at the meeting.

£228 (inc VAT)


Written response

20 working days

£108 (Inc VAT)

A Level 1 query involves a meeting with officers at the Civic Centre and (per hour or part thereof) costs £228 (inclusive of VAT). A Level 2 query involves written advice which is provided at a flat rate of £108 (inclusive of VAT).

If you have decided to seek householder pre-application advice please go to step 4.

4. Submitting a Householder Pre-application Enquiry

For all householder pre-application enquiries please submit the following by e-mail to:

If any of the above are not fulfilled your enquiry will not be dealt with.

Advice is provided by an individual planning officer but in liaison with appropriate colleagues and is agreed by a more senior officer before being issued.

Important Notes

Any advice given by Council officers for pre-application enquiries does not indicate any formal decision by the Council as local planning authority. Any views or opinions are given in good faith, and to the best of ability, without prejudice to the formal consideration of any planning application.

The final decision on any planning application that you may then make can only be taken after the Council has consulted local people, statutory consultees and any other interested parties. The final decision on an application will then be made by senior officers or by the Council's Development Control Board and will be based on all of the information available at that time.

You should therefore be aware that officers cannot guarantee the final formal decision that will be made to your application(s).

Any pre-application advice that has been provided will be carefully considered in reaching a decision or recommendation on an application; subject to the proviso that circumstances and information may change or come to light that could alter that position. It should be noted that the weight given to pre-application advice will decline over time.

DISCLAIMER: With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and buildings regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or buildings regulations approval or not). Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration). The general advice is to always discuss your proposals with the relevant local planning authority and building control services before starting work.