Skip to content Accessibility access to: Home page Accessibility access to: Accessibility

Do I Need Planning Permission?

Under the Town and Country Planning Acts, planning permission is required for development. Development is defined as building, mining, engineering or others operations or a material change of use. (Please note: Engineering includes excavation and changing land levels)

Permitted Development

Secondary legislation allows certain development to proceed without applying for planning permission. This is often called 'permitted development'.  For more details, please visit the Planning Portal (see below)

Permitted Developments Rights are sometimes removed from properties when planning permission is granted.  This means that a planning application will need to be submitted.  Contact Planning Admin to check to see if permitted development rights have been removed.

You may also need permission if your house has been previously extended or was built in the last few years. Extensions to flats and maisonettes will always require permission, including those converted from houses.  Some permitted development rights require you to notify the Council before you start work.  Further guidance  can be obtained via the Planning Portal's interactive house .

The legislation on residential extensions and other minor works changed in 2015.  The attached checklist PDF, 181.45 KB will help you work out if planning permission is required.

Planning Portal

The Planning Portal has information and guidance for householders and commercial properties. They have helpful mini guides for common householder projects and can help you if you want to calculate the volume of your roof extension only - volume calculation. You will also find useful information on Bulding control regulations that need to be observed once you get to the build stage of your project.

Paving Front Gardens and Dropped Kerbs

There is legislation that applies to the paving of front gardens and you are advised to read through the following guidance:

Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens PDF, 522.46 KB

Applications for a dropped kerb are dealt with by Kent County Council (KCC). Information on the application process and an online form is available on our Dropped Kerb page.

Lawful Development Certificates

As regulations are open to interpretation we will no longer give informal advice as to whether planning permission is required. For formal advice on proposed developments, please apply for a Lawful Development Certificate

Building Control Information