Climate Change Strategy & Action Plan
The Council is creating a Climate Change (Net Zero) Strategy and Action Plan relating to our goal of Net Zero Carbon by 2030. Further information will be available on this page in due course.
What is Net Zero?
Net zero refers to the balance between the amount of greenhouse gas produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere. We reach net zero when the amount we add is no more than the amount taken away.
What has the Council achieved so far?
Decarbonisation of Dartford Borough Council
The Council has been monitoring its Greenhouse Gas Emissions since 2008, the same year the Council joined the Carbon Trust Local Authority Carbon Management Programme and went on to meet the target of 35% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2012 (from 2008 to 2018 the Council reduced its emissions by 55%). The Council is in the fortunate position that we can track the progress on the corporate properties that we report on and see how the changes we’ve made have affected our carbon emissions. This monitoring assisted the Council when identifying some of the corporate properties for the recent Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme.
Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme:
- The Civic Centre and Orchard Theatre heating systems have been decarbonised and we now have a low energy electric heating system using Air Source Heat Pumps & Hydro-kits that are powered by Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Panels. Low energy LED lighting has also been installed along with a Building Management System (BMS)
- The Acacia Sports Hall has had Solar PV Panels installed on the roof as well as low energy LED lighting.
- Overall, we have over 200kW of Solar PV Panels across our corporate stock
The following measures involve a combination of grant funded schemes and Council funds:
- 472 solid walled properties have been fitted with External Wall Insulation (EWI).
- Over 99% of Council properties have A-rated (high efficiency) boilers.
- We have 600kW of Solar PV Panels within our Housing Stock. This serves both individual dwellings and communal areas.
- 10 properties have a battery installed that is charged using Solar PV Panels during the day and used to power the property overnight.
- Low energy LED light fittings have been installed in communal areas
- A bid has been submitted for the Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund (SHDF) to complete EWI on a further 200 properties.
Domestic Private Sector Energy Efficiency
Through the various funded schemes (totalling around £2.2million) the Council have provided 207 energy efficiency measures in our residents’ properties, as detailed below:
- External Wall Insulation (121 - includes 77 social housing)
- Loft Insulation (62 – includes 7 social housing)
- Cavity Wall Insulation (12)
- Internal Wall Insulation (3)
- Flat Roof Insulation (4)
- Solar PV (5)
Other Climate Action the Council has taken:
- Included Environment and Sustainability in the Council's Corporate Plan along with Key Performance Indicators
- Appointed a new Climate Change Team
- Appointed a Senior Urban Designer (Active Travel and Green Infrastructure)
- Included a Climate Change Impact Assessment in our report templates
- Established Officer and Member Climate Change Working Groups
- Planted new trees, wildflower meadows and community orchards
- Improved the efficiency of our refuse rounds
- Promoted and secured funding for energy-saving improvements for low income households
- Worked with local schools to discourage car idling
- Created an Air Quality Action Plan
- Installed EV Charge Points in some of our car parks
- Promoted reduction and re-use as well as recyling at the Council