Your browser does not support JavaScript. This website will not function as it was designed to. Please enable Javascript within your browser

As a Dartford Borough Council leaseholder you have purchased the right to live in your property for a fixed number of years (usually 125). The Council is the freeholder and landlord of the block and estate, and you are the leaseholder of the property.

Your lease is the legal contract between you and the Council. It gives you and your successors the right of possession of your property, as long as you accept and adhere to the conditions in the lease.

If you have purchased your leasehold property on the open market by way of a deed transfer, please note that the outgoing leaseholder transfers not only the Lease itself but all liabilities as well, in their entirety.

Debit or credit balances which remain on the service charges account as at the date of transfer are automatically transferred over to the new lessee upon completion. The new lessee is responsible for paying all invoices which are issued on or after the date of transfer, irrespective of when the leasehold property was purchased – and these charges may relate to a period prior to the date of purchase.

The lessee also becomes immediately responsible for contributing towards any expenditure incurred by the Council for repairing and maintaining the block and estate their property is situated in during each financial year, in accordance with the Lease Agreement.

Please see the following documents which contain further information about your rights and responsibilities as lessee and the Council's responsibilities as landlord.

Repairs and Maintenance:

We are responsible for keeping the structure of the building, the common parts of your block and any external communal areas in a good state of repair. You have the right to be consulted about contracts (qualifying long term agreements), and certain works and/or major repairs (qualifying works), for which you will be charged a proportionate amount. For more information see the Leaseholders Guide to Consultation for Major Works and Long Term Contracts


As a leaseholder, your buildings insurance is provided by the Council. To keep your insurance valid, you need to let us know of any changes to your property that might affect your policy.

We need to know if you have extended your home or had a conservatory built, if you run a business from home or you let your property to tenants. You may not be able to claim on your insurance if we are not informed of these changes as they happen, so don't leave yourself without cover.

As your buildings insurance does not cover storm damage to fences, gates and hedges, you may wish to consider taking out extra insurance for your future peace of mind.

You should also remember that it is your responsibility to take out your own home contents insurance.

If you have any doubt about what you should be telling us about, please contact us on 01322 343368.

Paying your rent and service charges

When, how and where to pay your rent

Fire Safety in Communal Areas

Residents storing items in communal areas and landings, and within gas/electricity cupboards, put lives at risk. Please do not store any items in the communal areas