The Council is responsible for issuing licences to animal establishments within the Borough and can therefore act on reports of abuse, neglect or concerns over animal welfare within these establishments.
We can also investigate problems with odours, waste or contamination by animals within the borough but we are unable to address issues of animal welfare in private properties.
Information on various dog ownership topics can also be found on the Dogs Trust website.
Dartford Council are happy to advise on animal welfare issues and assist where possible during normal working hours but would recommend contacting the RSPCA for general animal concerns on 0300 123 4999.
If you need to report an act of cruelty, neglect or concern about the welfare of an animal, call the RSPCA's 24-hour national cruelty and advice line on 0300 123 4999.
Premises Requiring Licenses
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) introduced a new regime on 1st October 2018 for the licensing of animal activities listed below.
If you wish to apply, change or renew an animal activity licence, you must follow the rules on licensing. You must also fulfill the statutory guidance for complying with licensing standards and conditions.
- Selling of animals as pets (formerly known as a Pet Shop Licence)
- Hiring out Horses (formerly known as Riding Establishments Licence)
- Breeding of dogs
- Boarding for cats in catteries
- Boarding for dogs in kennels
- Home boarding for dogs
- Day care for dogs (dog crèches)
- Training animals for exhibition (formerly known as Performing Animals Licence)
- Dangerous wild animals
- Appeals process following an animal licensing inspection
- Request for a re-rating following an animal licensing inspection
Please note: there are no changes to the existing arrangements to apply for a dangerous wild animals licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 or for a Zoo licence.